A Descriptive Catalogue of the Manuscripts in the Library of Lambeth Palace
M. R. James (1862-1936) is probably best remembered as a writer of chilling ghost stories, but he was an outstanding scholar of medieval literature and palaeography, who served as Provost of King's College, Cambridge, and Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, and later became Provost of Eton College. His detailed descriptive catalogues of manuscripts owned by colleges, cathedrals and museums are still of value to scholars today. James worked with the Lambeth Librarian Claude Jenkins on this catalogue, first published in five parts between 1930 and 1932, of the important manuscript collection begun by Archbishop Bancroft in the early seventeenth century. Building on James' handlist of medieval manuscripts in the library, published in 1900 and also reissued in this series, it gives full descriptions of the manuscripts including their contents, decoration, provenance and history. Volume 1 of this two-volume reissue contains Parts 1-3, covering manuscripts 1-357.