A Guide to the Windows of King's College Chapel, Cambridge
M. R. James (1862-1936) is probably best remembered as a writer of chilling ghost stories, but he was an outstanding scholar of medieval literature and palaeography, who served both as Provost of King's College, Cambridge, and as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, and many of his stories reflect his academic background. His detailed descriptive catalogues of manuscripts owned by colleges, cathedrals and museums are still of value to scholars today. First published in 1899, this book provides a description and brief history of the stained-glass windows in King's College chapel, together with explanations of their symbolism. A description of the remains of painted glass in the side chapels is also included. Now reissued, it will be welcomed by librarians and researchers alike.