Brave Nurses: Mary Seacole and Edith Cavell
Mary Seacole and Edith Cavell risked their lives to look after the wounded and the dying. They proved that bravery in wartime isn't just about fighting and winning battles.
* White/Band 10 books have more complex sentences and figurative language.
* Text type - A dual biography.
* A glossary on page 29 defines difficult words.
* A timeline on pages 30 and 31 allows children to recap the events of the gallant lives.
* Curriculum links - History: `the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods [for example, ... Mary Seacole and Edith Cavell].'