"Ready? Hold on tight! Off we go..." Here is a guidebook to keep you company on the first, exciting part of a journey of exploration with the very youngest children.
This book has been written to support and provide ideas for all adults caring for babies and very young children, whatever the setting they share. It is full of ideas for you to enjoy together in ways which ensure the growth of a 'feel good factor' for everyone.
The activities in Familiar Things:
* are enjoyable
* use resources that are local and cheap, or free
* have suggestions for encouraging older children to be involved in the activity
* can be adapted or developed to support each child's particular interests or abilities and can be built on throughout the suggested age range and beyond
* are fully illustrated
* include 'snapshots' of how others have experienced the activity
* include 'spotlights' to support adults in thinking about their approach to working with children in a play or childcare setting
This book is part of the Can Do Series, an essential resource for all those who work with children from birth to 14 years in all settings. The books of this series for the younger age groups will be of particular interest to those working in
* Day nurseries
* Family centres
* Their own, or their employer's home.
* Childcare or drop in centres.
* Toddler clubs and creches.
* Children's wards and centres providing respite care.
Wherever you work with babies and very young children you will find these books provide a rich source of ideas for rewarding play opportunities.
Books for the older age range can also be used in after-school clubs, playschemes, playbuses and play centres.