The Caribbean Infant Social Studies series comprises two books aimed at 5-7 year olds and is the perfect introduction to social studies for pupils who have just begun to interpret the written word. Topics in the infant curriculum are made lively and interesting through the variety of activities, photographs, drawings and simple maps. All these encourage discussion and give children the opportunity to express their ideas orally and in writing.
- the course is written in very clear, simple English within the ability range of early readers
- all the information is relevant to pupils everywhere in the Caribbean
- the presentation is fun and easy to follow
- the colourful and lively illustrations develop interpretation skills, reinforce understanding and relate to the pupils' own experience
- the questions and activities provide stimulation and help develop pupils' ability to interpret information. They also give teachers scope to extend the content to new situations and ideas
- the basic concepts of identity, location, co-operation and leadership are introduced in a very accessible way.
The authors are all experts in the social studies field and wrote the highly successful Caribbean Primary Social Studies series.