The Eastern Counties Omnibus Company came about by the amalgamation of four companies - the Peterborough Electric Traction Company, Ortona Motor Company Limited, the eastern operating area of United Automobile Services and the Eastern Counties Road Car Company of Ipswich. Registered on 14 July 1931, Eastern Counties was part of the Tilling Group until the Transport Act of 1968, which announced the formation of the National Bus Company. This was to take effect from 1 January 1969. Eastern Counties was a strong supporter of the Bristol chassis and ECW bodywork, given the strong links between the company and Eastern Coach Works of Lowestoft.
In 1984, in preparation for deregulation, Eastern Counties was split in to two separate companies, with Cambus being formed to take over operations in the Cambridge and Peterborough areas while, at the same time, the coaching operations were transferred to Ambassador Travel.
In this book, Peter Horrex and Tim Moore take a look at the years when Eastern Counties was part of the National Bus Company through a wonderful selection of photographs depicting the various types of vehicles used.