Lists of Manuscripts Formerly in Peterborough Abbey Library
M. R. James (1862-1936) is probably best remembered as a writer of chilling ghost stories, but he was an outstanding scholar of medieval literature and palaeography, who served both as Provost of King's College, Cambridge, and as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, and many of his stories reflect his academic background. His detailed descriptive catalogues of manuscripts owned by colleges, cathedrals and museums are still of value to scholars today. First published in 1929, this book lists over 300 separate volumes which were part of the library of Peterborough Abbey before the Dissolution. James reconstructs this list from sources including lists of books bequeathed to the Abbey, ancient catalogues, and extant books which can be identified as belonging to the library in the medieval period. He also provides a short analysis of his sources. Now reissued, this book will be welcomed by librarians and researchers alike.