R. D. Chantrell (1793-1872) and the Architecture of a Lost Generation
Chantrell along with many architects of his generation has hitherto been confined to the shadows of architectural history, shadows cast so adeptly by Pugin and the Ecclesiologists. This book reconsiders his many achievements and sets them within the context of the architectural theory and practice of his time.
After training in Soanes office and a string of compelling Classical buildings, Chantrell reinvented himself as a pioneering Gothic specialist to meet the huge post-Waterloo demand for additional church accommodation. He became one of the most accomplished exponents in this challenging area of practice, as well as being a respected antiquary, lecturer, writer and, later, an elder statesman of the profession on several prestigious London committees. Crowninghis career is Leeds Parish Church (1837-41), the biggest church since Wrens St Pauls and, nationally, the most important church of the age.