What are the essentials of Christian belief? In the first three hundred years of the Church's existence, this question produced the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed - statements of belief which are still held in common by Christians today.
Yet the creeds are not just checklists of beliefs - they show us who and what we can trust in this world, and offer us a glimpse of another. In Tokens of Trust, Rowan Williams looks at the implications of saying 'I believe' to the great claims of the creeds:
- that God is almighty;
- that he is the creator of heaven and earth;
- that Jesus is the Son of God;
- that he rose from the dead;
- that there is one Church;
- that there is life beyond death.