* The first London edition (1759) of Sterne's revolutionary and influential novel.
* Textual notes, explanatory footnotes, and a preface by Judith Hawley.
* Three illustrations.
* The Author on the Novel, fourteen judiciously chosen letters from the latest scholarly edition.
* A wide range of early responses that demonstrate Tristram Shandy's changing reception from its publication through the nineteenth century.
* Eleven major critical interpretations, ten of them new to this edition.
* A Chronology of Laurence Sterne's life and work and a Selected Bibliography.
About the Series
Read by more than 12 million students over fifty-five years, Norton Critical Editions set the standard for apparatus that is right for undergraduate readers. The three-part format-annotated text, contexts, and criticism-helps students to better understand, analyze, and appreciate the literature, while opening a wide range of teaching possibilities for instructors. Whether in print or in digital format, Norton Critical Editions provide all the resources students need.